More about Scamperdale and Clarendon Road A recent article in this series about Scamperdale, the building in Clarendon Road, Redhill, where Sam Marsh once had stables, evoked memories for Mrs Jean Belton, from Horley, who, as a child in the 1940s, lived next to it.

She remembers the blacksmith's at the rear of the building where she and her brother spent many hours watching the horses being shod. The Jersey Dairy had a depot in Warwick Road and when horses needed new shoes they would be walked round to the blacksmith. When re-shod, the horses would be ridden back to the dairy.

The rest of the building was no longer a stable at this time. In one part of it there was an upholstery business, another part was used for storage and there were two flats. Mrs Belton's mother had been in service in a large house in Park Road and moved into the house next to Scamperdale in 1940 when she married. It was rented from the estate of Lord Monson. Opposite was the house that later became the HQ of the British Legion which, in the early 1940s, was the home of a Captain Sutton. Buses terminated in Clarendon Road between the Co-op and the telephone exchange; the 406 was one. The crews would have a break and allow Mrs Belton and her brother to go on and collect used bus tickets.

Also in Clarendon Road there was a shop run by Mr Brems that had been there since the 1920s selling radios, light bulbs and other electrical items.

In the 1950s he sold television sets as well but had neither a television nor a radio in his own home because as they were on all day in the shop he had had enough of them by evening.

Article by Alan Moore, author of A History of Redhill Volumes 1 and 2. History website