Got a story? Call 01273 544544 or email email@example.com
Man suffers serious burns in Smallfield caravan blaze
2:27pm Monday 3rd September 2012 in Local News
Police have said a fire which took hold in a caravan and outbuilding in Smallfield and left a man with serious burn injuries, was not suspicious.
The blaze in Perrylands Lane broke out in the early hours of last Wednesday (August 29).
Surrey Fire and Rescue Service were quickly on the scene at just before 1am and put a 500-metre cordon around the site as a safety precaution, while the fire was dealt with.
Police officers closed the M23 at Junction 9 for Gatwick Airport as a precaution, but the motorway was reopened at about 1.40am.
The occupant of the caravan, a 30-year-old man, was taken to East Surrey Hospital, Redhill, for treatment to burn injuries.
A Surrey Police spokesman said a 40-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of arson, but has since been released from police custody without any further action being taken against him.
Specialist neighbourhood officers carried out reassurance visits and enquiries in the local area, while Surrey Police and Surrey Fire and Rescue Service carried out a joint investigation into the cause of the fire.
This week, a Surrey Police spokesman said the blaze had been deemed non-suspicious.
The caravan occupant was described as being in a stable condition in hospital.