Got a story? Call 01273 544544 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Suspicious fire in Earlswood causes about £20,000 damage
7:46pm Monday 24th September 2012 in News
A 33-year-old man from Horley was arrested on suspicion of arson by police investigating a suspicious fire in Earlswood.
The early hours blaze at two outbuildings at the Royal Earlswood Estate caused around £20,000 worth of damage.
The alarm was raised at around 1am on Monday, September 17.
The two brick-built outbuildings that were alight contained bins which served the estate.
About £75 worth of damage was also caused to a white Nissan Micra which was parked there.
Investigating officer David Fair of Reigate CID, said while no-one was hurt, the fire could easily have spread, causing more damage.
He said: “I would appeal to anyone who was in the area around the time the offence took place, or who has any other information relating to this incident, to contact Surrey Police with details.
“The fire has caused considerable damage to the area of the estate where the fire was started, and although no one was hurt on this occasion, the flames could have easily got out of hand.”
A Surrey Police spokesman said the 33-year-old Horley man arrested had been released on police bail until Tuesday, November 13, while the investigation continues.
Anyone with information should call Surrey Police on 101.